Old 12-29-16, 12:44 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
interesting challenges as winter comes on & conditions change. black ice on paved surfaces. light snow w/o ice on unpaved trails, then snow covered ice, then deeper snow, then what? we all need 3-4 bikes with various tire setups, huh?
Absolutely!

At this time, I have 3 bikes ready to go for winter riding, and another that I never did get set up - oh well, always the fall of 2017.

I choose what bike to ride based upon the surface conditions as well as my particular ride goal and how I'm feeling that day. 4-5 inches of fresh snow is definitely a fat-bike day. Current conditions here are cold and dry, with just a few lingering small patches of ice from the big thaw on Monday and re-freeze on Tuesday. Definitely a day I could ride either my Crosstrail with non-studded, mtb tires, as long as I was careful to watch out and avoid the icy spots, or my Sirrus with studded tires.

But if I wanted a tougher workout (and trust me, right now, still fighting a cold, I don't!) I would take the Pug anyway - studded fatbike tires on dry asphalt and concrete are a pretty intense workout, IMHO, at least for me!