Old 01-14-17, 11:46 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by usarnie1
In reply to dweenk's post; yes, the dual shifters are as scarce as hens teeth! However, I think your shifter may be repairable. Once you remove the shifters clamp mounting hardware, you will see a shaft that has had its back flared out, to secure the shaft to the mounting clamp while holding the shifting arm and indexing parts. I think you might be able to drill out only the flared out section of the shaft and free all the parts. Once the parts are loose, you can fabricate your own shifting arm and shaft. If you have a lathe, you can make another shaft and then thread the shaft on both of its' ends. That way you can secure your replacement shaft to the mounting clamp and snug up all the parts with a washer and a nut on the other end. In theory, is sounds good! Good Luck, Usarnie1 P.S. if you are going to part out your Sprite, I would be interested in purchasing the rear wheel with the left side bell shifter, its' rod, the broken dual shifter, the shifting cable hardware and the shifting cables.
I have no plans to part this one out, but if it comes to that I'll keep you in mind.

When it warms up a bit, I will strip the bike and service the bearings and clean the frame. I have several stem and down tube friction shifters that I could rob for their levers, so I may explore using one of those as a replacement. I figure that I have nothing to lose by trying, since the lever is already broken (it appears to be made of Delrin).