Old 01-26-17, 01:41 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I think a little bit of my issue was getting over-confident. Riding those conditions for .5 mile here and .75 mile earlier on this ride... this fall is in the last few hundred yards; I was like "I got this!" and the ice was like "NOPE!"

Ice is a great humbler

Especially when you're riding along fine, and then try to put your foot down when you stop. Unless you studded your boots, too, their soles won't have traction like your studded tires.

I've seen people screw grip studs into their boot soles. At Triple D, someone had a box of 1/2" screws with a big hex head on them, and offered them for self-studding your boots.
Like these:

I really wish I had taken him up on the offer! My SiDi boots have a hard plastic sole like a baseball cleat (as do many MTB soles). I can't wait for my Lake 303 boots to show up! And I should grab a handful of grip studs.