Old 01-26-17, 03:00 PM
FrankHudson

Bikes: Five active bikes: 1983 Diamondback RidgeRunner (early production mountain bike), 1951 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 2012 Novara Safari, 2013 Schwinn 411 IGH, 2016 Jamis Roughneck Fatbike; plus a Trek T900 tandem shared with the family

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grip studs were sold out at my LBS, so I sprung for one Dillinger 4 for the front tire earlier this month. My ride yesterday wasn't near as challenging as HypnoToad's. I had a very pleasurable 5 mile breakfast ride in the middle of the early morning snow storm though. It wasn't too cold (around 30F and not a lot of wind) so the snow storm was just pretty.

Early enough and on less traveled roads, so no real ruts yet. Glad to finally have studs on the fat tire bike (previous winter ride had 700x42 studded) however. I still may grip stud the rear Nate on my bike.

Due to availability issues and a financial windfall, I ended up with the higher TPI versions for both tires. Hard to say if I'm not just saying this because of the cost, but the bike does seem to ride nice with the new tire set.

Ice ruts suck. Fat tires make them suck a little less. I like the wider, mountain style handlebars on a winter bike because I feel my old, out of shape, self can leverage the front tire better in those ruts.