Old 01-29-17, 08:23 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by flik9999
I dont want a real roadie as you cant fit nice thick tyres on them. I run 35mm tyres on the sirrus and it allows nice speed, comfortable curb jumping, hopping between pavement and road etc. On 25mm I wouldnt even want to ride the low quality roads tbh. All semi gravel.
Sounds like you want a 'gravel' or 'cyclocross' bike then. My cyclocross frame has drop bars and can fit up to 44mm tires. The latest crop of gravel bikes can typically fit at least 35mm tires, too, and will have more relaxed geometry than a cyclocross frame in general.

The problem will drop bars on a hybrid frame like the Sirrus is that the 'reach' to the drop bar levers will likely be too long. A flat bar bike will have the reach to the bars optimized for riding on essentially the tops of a drop bar. With a real drop bar in place, you will want the reach optimized for riding on the hoods, or drops. You could fit a really short stem to correct that but you may not like how the bike handles after that change.