View Single Post
Old 02-18-17, 05:48 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
I've been backpacking and hiking for decades. I suspect this has nothing to do with hiking since practicing on a flat padded floor for hours would never duplicate carrying a 35 pound back on slick roots on a down hill grade.
Chuck,

I think what Happy Feet said was correct. People learn judo for the purpose of practicing an art. However, the consequences of learning that art are: increased strength, better balance, greater flexibility, skills in landing after getting thrown, body awareness and control, and faster reflexes. Yes, falls are practiced, although not always executed as planned. Judo is hard on the body. My Sensei told me that" when you do a move 1000 times, it is is yours". I guess I know how to hit the mat because I'm sure I hit it at least that many times

I think all those attributes can help prevent and minimize accident injuries and lessen the consequences of unexpected situations, such as falls and crashes.

No, I don't advocate practicing falls on concrete. I don't even advocate practicing falls at all. When I practice bike skills like bunny hops on my bike, I do practice on grass just in case I screw up.

I was a professional forester for many years and spent a lot of that time "hiking in the woods". I have no tangible evidence that practicing a martial art prevents or reduces the consequences of a fall, but I really do think that it helped my agility and balance; all important when "carrying a 35 lb pack on slick roots on a downhill grade." I have also been a backcounrty ski patroller for 35years, and often carry a 35+ lb pack down steep slippery grades; and I need everything that I can muster at times

Last edited by Doug64; 02-18-17 at 07:27 PM.