View Single Post
Old 02-24-17, 08:51 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
My understanding is that recumbents don't accelerate, handle or climb as well as bikes.
Last year during the Assenmacher 100 tour, I had some young kid running his suck saying the same thing. "It's just that recumbents are so slow, blah blah blah".
So, I gave the young buck a 1/8 mile lead on me. THEN DECIMATED HIM!!
It wasn't even close. I did see him make a futile attempt to keep up. But, that didn't last long at all.
Near the end, I found myself in a paceline of uprights. We made a left turn for the last 1/2 mile of the course. Everyone made a sprint for the finish. From the back of the paceline, I found myself passing the leader, to which he commented about being amazed at the acceleration of my lowracer.

Now, I'm not gonna poo poo the uprights. I own, love, and still ride my mine. I couldn't imagine taking my lowracer up Whiteface in NY or to Clingman's Dome in the Smokies. My uprights are my climbing bikes. Though, if I were descend with the lowracer from said routes, I'd easily be 3-5mph faster.
I also find my uprights to be easier for railtrails, where stopping/starting every mile is the norm. Easier to see over the grass at road crossings.