View Single Post
Old 03-11-17, 07:11 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've lived in Taos the last six years. Road cycling is generally dangerous and boring. Dangerous from road conditions and impaired/angry drivers and boring from lack of variety of roads. Then there is the wind... Mountain biking is good and getting better all the time. My wife and I think the weather is pretty spectacular all year long, except for wind season, which is coming up.

The one good road cycling area north of Taos is the road up to the ski valley, and its been pretty much destroyed by heavy trucks doing construction at the ski area. Younger guys I've spoken to in Santa Fe have told me that the roads there are very dangerous due to road conditions and distracted drivers. Espanola between SF and Taos, well, you don't even want to drive there. Albuquerque has had numerous cyclist deaths.

Road cycling is huge in Boulder (we were there recently and I've visited numerous times) but again, dangerous due to limited roads and distracted drivers.

Road cycling in the west is generally not that great. Limited number of roads, crappy roads near town, windy roads outside of town. This is from someone who's traveled all over the country/world and ridden in a number of areas. Where we lived in NJ, just north or Princeton, was heaven for cycling. Endless roads (see njbikemaps.com) and one of the highest per capita income levels in the country (fewer angry/impaired drivers). Problem is - too expensive to retire there for most people.

If you like to hike, ski, snowshoe, mountain bike, want to be within driving distance to some of the most spectacular areas of the country, move to northern NM. You also get crappy roads, impaired drivers and huge disparity in incomes. We love it.