Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
By the looks of it (when assembled), it looks like you get a lot for the money. And then from your description of all the problems, it looks like you don't.
To be objective: most new bicycles sold in my country need a similar proper first service. Most LBS, especially in spring time (new goods arriving at the shop, lots of paperwork, plus lots of bikes being sold and repaired after winter break) - don't set the bikes up perfectly when selling them.

We'll see how it fares in the long run. For example, the budget wheels, it's unbelievable: cheap hubs that can be set up for either excessive drag, or slight play, not machined with precision. Rims without metal reinforced eyelets for nipples. Cheap spokes that rust rather quickly. They still last for ages on my beater bike - 5 seasons now for the front, 3 for the rear (since old one got busted by a car!). No pitting, no coming out of true, no spokes breaking even though they're completely rusted now.

Friend called after the first ride and he was very pleased. Said something like: "see, you don't need an expensive bike, just a well tuned, set up one".
If he sticks to his original plan, this will be 30+ kilometres 6 days a week, with some up and down hill riding. So a decent test for a commuter bicycle. His job is an office one, sitting all day, and I've already "converted" two guys to year round commuting by my example, this might be the third "aren't you cold in the winter?!" - then start doing it themselves "victim".

P.S. Is acidfast still alive, didn't see his posts in a while?