View Single Post
Old 03-31-17, 10:17 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
I doesn't appear that way to me. Plus, a good discussion is going.
Maybe, but all this should be known by now. ANY nylon requires a coating to be waterproof, and that coating will not breathe unless it is a specific coating designed to be breathable (Gore-Tex), and after 40 or more years of Gore-Tex use by cyclists, its been fairly well documented that its success is dependent on being very passive and generating minimal levels of water vapor. Impractical for most commuting cyclists. Venting? I have a J&G coated nylon shell that has the longest pit zips on the market, and on a dry day with the zips wide open I can get a sheen of moisture on the inside of the jacket from a 1/2 mile one way! Cycling at any practical intensity means sweating. This means cyclists are getting damp and wet in large numbers on dry days! I don't see large numbers of threads addressing this. Getting wet from rain is unpleasant because the cyclists often gets chilled as well. I solve this by layering well. Wicking baselayer, one or two wool or fleece layers and some kind of windstopper, soft shell or waterproof outer layer. I like a dry head, but a head that is soaked, dripping and warm, is much more tolerable than a head that is soaked, dripping and cold. Same with hands and feet. Legs I don't really care about. Chaps usually because I can put them on and take them off without removing my shoes.