Old 04-10-17, 12:20 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7662 Post(s)
Liked 3,506 Times in 1,850 Posts
I don't really divide between "raod bike" and "commuter." I divide between "road bike" and "hybrid."

My "commuter is a Dawes Sheila with full lights and a rack and two bottle cages. I can carry a ton of gear depending on which panniers I bring. I can attach a handlebar bag if like. I have a large seat bag so I can carry a bunch of tools and spares and patches and a pump. I also have a stem bag for food and anything I want handy while I ride.

It is a lot lighter than any hybrid, plenty tough for any terrain, could take pretty wide tires (28 maybe) if I wanted but I don't find the need.

it has a study but not harsh aluminum fame and a carbon fork with an Al steerer, so I can run a lot of spacers so i don't have to reach past my knees for the handlebars. Still, if it is really windy i can get in the drops and get a little bit under it.

When I think "commuter" I generally think drop-bars ... I guess a lot of peple think flat bars. Either wiorks .... the only difference is the seat and bars. The rest---frame, gearing, wheels, carrying capacity---should all be the same.

I do Not recommend getting what is essentially a weak mountain bike for commuting. A lot of people get bikes with cheap, heavy suspension forks and overweight frames and wheels which are way overkill for commuting but not strong enough for actual mountain-biking.

When I think "hybrid" that's what I think of--a fork which can't really take a hit, a frame too heavy for the street and too weak for the trails, and a bike which does neither roads nor trails particularly well.

Just my personal bias. Lots of people have hybrids and love them, and I am sure many do roads and trails well.

I would recommend any road bike with an aluminum frame and carbon fork, or all steel, or steel with a CF fork, with fender and rack mounts. Flat or drop bars is just a personal preference.