Old 04-11-17, 05:07 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
There is no reason that bike can't serve well for a 12 mile commute for as long as you want. It's a decent bike with good components.

OP:

If going up the hills is killing you, I have to ask if you're shifting the front chainring? pics show that bike with a triple, and with those gears you should be able to get up the hills. Up to 7% or 8% at least.

As your fitness improves, if you want a faster bike, you can always get a road bike, or gravel bike, or whatever kind of bike you want. But there is no urgency in it. You have a bike. Get it straightened out by a good mechanic ride it while you research and read about different kinds of bikes you might get.

Odds of the entire drive train being shot are extremely low.

More than likely a combination of new chain, derailleur hanger alignment, new shifter cables, proper cable routing and installation, and it's good for a year.

Actually, new cables will have to stretch in, and you'll probably need a quick tweak in a few weeks. But then it should be good for a while.
Agree 100% - I flipped one of those and it had decent components and was a quality bike. Probably my best and lowest effort flip - other than a rusty chain and the brakes out of adjustment, there wasn't really anything wrong with it. I may have had to mess with the shifting a bit, but not so much that I remember it.

I'd have kept it except that I didn't like the riding position.