View Single Post
Old 04-17-17, 12:18 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5789 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by wilfried
..... It's absolutely unclear what a bike is supposed to do, since you're going against traffic at that point. And you do have to keep an eagle eye out for drivers, who try to bludgeon their through intersections, while pedestrians have the light.
One of my objections to much of the city's infrastructure is that it seems to consider bicycles to be pedestrians on wheels, rather than a part of vehicular traffic.

I wouldn't care, and would be happy if the rule was use them if you like, don't if you don't. But NYC sometimes enforces a "must use" rule, so every time they put in a poorly designed bike lane, the selection of usable avenues is reduced.

Note that I am not diametrically opposed to bike lanes, I just don't want them to be a handicap, that seems more designed to get us out of the way rather than to make bicycling faster and more expedient.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.