View Single Post
Old 05-01-17, 06:23 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3165 Post(s)
Liked 1,723 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
How often do you have to add sealant?
It primarily depends on the tire construction, specifically whether there is an air retention liner (buytl, usually) on the inside of the tire or not.

The original Schwalbe One, which was lined, you could fill on install with 2 or 3oz of sealant and it would stay liquid 5 or so months, in my experience. In fact, I never found sealant dried up and gone in that tire, and I would check them only once a year, in Spring, at the head of the season. The new Schwalbe Pro One, which uses their Microskin casing and requires sealant for airtightness, dries out the same amount of liquid in half the time, maybe less; it seems to almost soak the stuff up from initial install. I'm at the point with P1s and S1s now that I just assume the sealant is dried up in there.

Probably if I didn't have the practice of peeling off the old stuff, I could expect better air holding/slower leakdown