genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
UI suppose that would depend on how you define a punishment pass. If there was no intent to punish the cyclist then it is by definition not a punishment pass. However, if you have broadened the definition of a punishment pass to include all dangerous passes then its a punishment pass. Other than the closeness of the pass, I saw no evidence of the drivers intent to punish the cyclist for anything, including the cyclists existence on the road.

But calling this a punish pass more relates to an individuals attitude towards motor vehicle drivers. Some cyclists seem to believe that any driver who acts in a way unsafe to the cyclist are out to get the cyclist and want to punish them for being in the road. I don't buy this, I think more motorists are plain old stupid or unaware of what it is like outside the well insulated container of their conveyance.
OK I'll buy "stupid." The cyclist was in the right most through lane (the next lane to the right was a merge on and off lane) and the motorist had the choice of staying in the lane behind the cyclist, or going partially over, or going all the way into the very empty next lane to the left... and decided NOT to go all the way over into that empty lane... why was that "not an option" in the driver's mind? Oh yeah. Stupid. Right.