View Single Post
Old 06-02-17, 05:58 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2748 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
Her insurance was expired. My health insurance covered most of my hospital bill, which exceeded $335,000 for the 2+ weeks I was there. I have a lawyer and we're working with her family to have the rest of the hospital bill covered. She's 84 and pretty senile (according to them) so therefore why we're working with her family. We're not too worried about the material side of things. Fuji replaced my bike at no cost and Arkel replaced my panniers so I'm only out a few hundred (if that) for material items.
@jefnvk Tagging you since you replied to his comment and I didn't see it until afterwards.
I've spoken with Americans for decades about your health system, but I tell ya, Canadians and people from nearly all other first world developed nations with national health systems read of situations like this and we just shake our heads.
It's really quite sad how someone's financial life, having to sell your house sort of stuff, can be a possibility due to a serious bad luck health or accident situation.
We just do not understand it.
Sorry to bring this aspect of this up, is just always so shocking to us to read of the stress and complications that the financial side of your insurance based system can bring into the lives of people.