View Single Post
Old 07-18-17, 04:24 PM
fireroadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
For future use I've found bike boom Peugeot - link here to be very useful in identifying year and model.

FWIW I bought a similar model Mixte (a made in France for the french market one that a family had brought with them to Seattle but did not want to pack back to France) for about $30 a few years ago. I built it up for my daughter to ride.

[IMG]Le Mixte Francais (2) by Ryan Surface, on Flickr[/IMG]
I had read your other thread about this bike. What a lucky deal and great find! It's a beautiful mixte! When the seller brought the Peugeot P19 out of the shed I thought it was junk but had tested out a 70s Fuji Special Road Racer earlier that day that was too small for me. I was still getting over my disappointment after seeing the forged drops on the Fuji, so hopped on the Peugeot with no expectations. After a block I realized this bike Rides Like a Dream. In spite of the rotting tire sidewalls, a developing flat tire due to a faulty schrader valve, and missing teeth on the Simplex derailleur jockey wheel the bike just glided down the street like a canoe on a quiet lake. It was impressive how comfortable the geometry felt, how confidently it handled, how balanced the bike felt.

Riding a bike is a lot like riding a horse. Not every horse is good for every rider and vice versa. The majority of vintage bikes are used for running errands, commuting, and joy rides on the weekend these days, so for me there's no reason to ride an uncomfortable vintage bike. Can't wait to finish rebuilding this mixte and take it out to the beach!

I'll post up photos of the P19 after I finish rebuilding it!