View Single Post
Old 09-30-17, 05:34 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26482 Post(s)
Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
...so I'm out on the Bottecchia this morning, cranking out a quick 40 with intervals on the MUP, and then a return loop through town.

When I'm doing intervals, I like to chase people down who are far ahead of me, then dial it back to rest, then find someone riding ahead and again accelerate to catch up. Like having a mechanical rabbit at the dog track. It helps to pass the time.

Anyway, I'm cruising on the MUP at a moderate pace, feel recovered in terms of breathing and heart rate (which I judge without a monitor, mostly by how close I am to puking). Up about a quarter mile ahead, I see a homeless guy with all his stuff in a trailer, so I accelerate a little bit.

He's pulling away from me. So I think, "Gee whiz you wuss, you can't catch a homeless guy pulling a trailer ? " Up goes the cadence, and I shift to a higher gear. I can sorta feel it now. He's not pulling away, but I'm not getting any closer. This goes on for about three miles, and I finally get close enough to see some details. His legs aren't moving at all...homeless guy pulling trailer with electric bike.

I never did pass him, ran out of MUP. Mechanical doping is the future of road bikes.