Old 10-04-17, 05:16 PM
eaglegamma

Bikes: Lots, but one at a time!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
How will a Wiki be better / an improvement over https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/ ?

Seems like CrazyGuy pretty much covers anything touring related you'd ever care about.
(just curious, not trying to start an online fight with anybody or anything...... )
Good question. I asked myself that before starting, and my answer is that it condenses that type of info all into a far more useful form. CrazyGuy is great for diving into the details of many people's rides and individual preferences (and it has a great site name). Let's say you want a flavor of Jim and Fran's bike trip across the US in 2012, well you can read about all the hilarious hijinx they had, and see their trip photos. You can also get someone's personal recommendation for stove fuel in Europe, or see who's looking for ride partners in Colorado. But let's say that instead you just want to quickly learn the main suggestions for how to cross the USA, or which stove fuel to use in Europe. It would be very difficult to prune through thousands of pages of diaries, forum comments, and such. Much easier just to browse directly to a community-curated summary of the top knowledge on each topic.

Lots of different groups have a site for discussions/forums, blogs/diaries, etc., and also a wiki. It serves a different purpose. Instead of spread-out streams of thought from a bunch of individuals, it brings together info into a shared resource that efficiently provides topical messages.

How does that jive with you? Does that convince you of its merit, or do you still think it needs a greater differentiation from CG?

Last edited by eaglegamma; 10-04-17 at 05:23 PM. Reason: fix mistyped word