View Single Post
Old 10-23-17, 06:13 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just lost a decent amount of weight. A few of the lessons I learned:

- Take body measurements. That's actually a better indicator of weight loss, because water can cause an incorrect reading and muscle vs fat can throw off the scale too.
- If you weigh yourself every day, be prepared for variations. I can't count how many times I maintained a fairly consistent calorie in/calorie out schedule and in 24 hours I'd gain 2 pounds, carry it for two days and then the following day I lost 3 pounds overnight.
- Starvation mode is real. If your calorie in/calorie out is too unbalanced, your brain and body will be convinced there isn't a reliable source of food and your metabolism will slow down. The trick for getting out of it is to figure out your BMR and your daily activity caloric needs and eat at or just under it for two weeks, and then go back to dieting.
- Bicycling is not that great of a calorie burner if you don't go a lot of miles. My 6 mile commute to work and back burns off just enough calories for a guilt-free small frappuccino.
- Protein, protein, protein. Keeping your blood sugar level prevents binging. Once that blood sugar drops, all your brain and body can focus on is taking in energy. I can tell you from experience that once your blood sugar hits 57, you are going to park a kitchen chair right in front of the open refrigerator. Avoid blood sugar drops at all costs.
- Water, water, water. Often thirst is disguised as hunger, so you take in food without realizing you don't actually want food. Keep a glass of ice water with you at all times, and use a straw to make it easier to sip without thinking. You will be surprised how many times you need to refill that glass in a day.
- Calorie counter is a must. Whenever you grab something to eat, input it into your counter before eating a bite. You might see the calories and decide that a half-portion would be better.
- Don't deprive yourself too much. Cheats are okay, you are far more likely to completely go off your diet if you deny yourself chocolate forever. But limit it to once or twice a month.