rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13730 Post(s)
Liked 4,541 Times in 2,516 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramona_W
It is officially official and I can announce I have a new paid position. (Don't go there. Don't *even* go there.) As of November 20th, I am back on the AmeriCorps stipend-rolls. I'm going to be part of a program called Rx Matters. My title is Prevention and Education Coordinator. Essentially, we will be going around Maricopa County to conduct two-hour in-home sessions to teach seniors, family members, and caregivers about the proper way to use their prescription drugs especially opioids. Also what questions to ask the pharmacist and how to keep track of what they've taken so they don't accidentally take the wrong thing or too many and so they know if some grow legs. And I'm going to be recruiting and training people to make follow-up visits and calls to be sure everything stays on track.

It's supposed to be a 20 hour a week position but it's also supposed to be 900 hours over the course of the project and it was supposed to start on September 1st so we're going to have to cram all those hours into about nine months instead of a year. I think it will be interesting and educational for me too and if we do it right we might even be able to save somebody's life. Plus since it's a two-hour presentation and I may be driving all over Maricopa County, I have invited LoP to come along to help navigate on his off days and we can throw a bike in the back of the mini-van and he can get a good ride in while I'm doing the education thing.

I'm also going to be a volunteer long-term care ombudsman with the same organization and they're going to work to coordinate my visits to nursing homes/assisted-living facilities and my in-home presentations so I don't run into scheduling conflicts.

And, hopefully, between my work schedule and LoP's, we will be able to spend time together occasionally and even go for a tandem ride again. Don't ask me why but I've grown pretty fond of that guy even if he does do things on the bike to rile me up.