Old 12-10-17, 04:16 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5956 Post(s)
Liked 2,864 Times in 1,597 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Mr DeadGrandpa brought up the situation where you've got a vehicle that's afraid to pass, hanging back stalker-like behind you and has a long tail of cars behind him. He isn't passing, close, fast or otherwise. That's what I'm talking about. OP sounds like he might be that kind of driver, afraid to pass because of all those side roads he said he was worried about, among other things.

Surely you see the point of getting off to the side when that happens. I think they're afraid because they know they lack judgement or skills or both, and I don't know about you but I don't really want them behind me or passing if that's the case. What's the alternative other than turning or getting off into a driveway something?
In 50+ years I've never run into that situation. Maybe because just about all my riding has been north of the Mason-Dixon line.

I have had drivers hesitate about passing, but it's not long before impatience overrides fear and they find an opportunity to pass. I will admit that when I see someone holding back, I'll do what I can to help, but only up to a limit. After that I'm not responsible for what folks do or don't do.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.