wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Well...if your contingency is to call an Uber...or anyone else for that matter...make sure that you're not riding in a cell dead zone. I once learned that the hard way. Although I'm strictly a roadie...I was out in the countryside on a clear, sunny, but frigid day with temps in the teens (Fahrenheit). I couldn't manipulate anything to get the flat fixed with cycling gloves on. And when I took them off my finger got too cold for it in a minute. I was dressed fine for cycling. But when I stopped, all sweaty, and had to walk about a mile (in cycling shoes no less)...I was freezing!!! Since then...I try to make sure my rides on really cold days remain somewhat close to civilization.

I worry about this, too, and also stay closer to civilization when the temperatures really drop. If I'm feeling a bit more adventurous, I pack some thin gloves/liners (for fixing flats in cold) and an extra sweater (so I don't die if I have to walk.)

The last time something like this happened I was fortunately on an icy road with wide MTB tires, and was able to slowly roll back toward civilization with a half inflated tube