View Single Post
Old 12-22-17, 06:46 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
My 1985 Nishiki International. This version was a "triathlon" version, rather than the touring bike that many Internationals are.

Oversized Tange #1 frame, Tange 2 fork. It used super-thin oversized tubes, which had "sleeves" slipped over them and they were then brazed internally. It was a Japanese copy of the Masi 3V, and very well executed, I think.

Lots of stuff going on in the cycling world in 1985. Americans had broken into European cycling in a big way, Lemond and Hampsten were both on La Vie Claire assisting Hinnualt, and the 7-11 team was learning the ropes. Bike parts were becoming standardized, friction shifting, disc wheel and clipless pedals were showing up at the big races. Funny bikes had made their debut at the 1984 Olympics, and now everyone's time trial bike had to look like one. Good times.

This bike has of course been modernized, only a few of the original components remain, mainly because I would rather take it to the mountains and ride it than stare at period correct components on a bike that's not all that rare or valuable, but still rides exceptionally well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0124 copy.jpg (1.41 MB, 300 views)

Last edited by Colnago Mixte; 12-22-17 at 06:49 AM.