View Single Post
Old 01-04-18, 08:11 AM
bnewberry

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
My wife started doing triathlons last year. For her first one she rode my old Specialized mountain bike. She decided to continue in the sport so she bought a road bike. I did a bunch of training rides with her, me on the mountain bike and it got to the point that I decided to buy a road bike of my own. I knew it had to be steel like I used to ride so I started looking for the bike I wish I had bought when I was riding back in the 80’s.

It had to be an American made Schwinn, Trek or Specialized. I ended up with a Trek but soon found that one was not enough. Just to limit the field and collection I resolved to only buy Treks with the caveat that if a Paramount ever became available at a good price I would also be able to buy it!

So now I have my favorite bike which is a 1983 Trek 640 that came with a mix of original and updated parts, a 1985 560 Pro which is in original condition save the seat, and consumable items, and a 1978 730 with original equipment but with some rust issues that I am working on. I also have a 1985 600 frame on the way.

The 640 was a happy accident, I did not know how much I would like this bike. I put on a set of Velocity 700c wheels with 32mm tires and I am going to set it up with randonneur bars and bar end shifters. My goal this year is to ride a metric century and a full century on it this year.

The 560 pro is a fun bike to ride but I am thinking of selling or trading it off because I hate to modify it and the 730 has the same race type geometry along with the classic lug work that I prefer. I am cleaning up the 730 and will set it up for short fast training rides with my wife on our favorite 20 mile smoothlympaved trail.

The 600 will be my bad weather bike to ride on wet nasty days. I may even see if I can fit fenders along with 32mm tires on it.

I have been tempted by many other bikes with English and Italian heritage but so far I have resisted!

I am actively looking for another 1983 640 in a 21 or 22.5 inch frame size and open to any Trek that is pre cast seat lug construction that is a good buy.