Old 01-04-18, 02:02 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Your contempt for your co-worker is pretty clear, to us. The posters with a more nuanced response (like Darth Lefty) have it right. The co-worker was not being a jerk. That is the exact response I would expect if I failed to ride on some bad weather day. And I would laugh it off. I am the ONLY cyclist where I work, and giving me stuff about riding in bad weather (which I do) is par for the course. When I don't ride for some reason (any reason) it is also an occasion for comment. Your co-worker obviously is unaware of how much you despise his lack of physical fitness. Good. There is hope for you yet. Why not try to steer him towards better health practices over your next several interactions. It may come to nothing. You tried. But as for this present bit of pique that you are experiencing. That's you. All you. Peace.
My first thought also, he may have just been making talk, in his mind joking. When you ride in all weather, or in most of it, you often get this on the more extreme days. Did you ride in today? Wasn't it cold/wet/what-have-you? How far in this weather? And sometimes something about dedication. It all means the same, however they phrase it, and this guy might just have an awkward way of putting things.

I have a co-worker who likes to razz sometimes. He was fond of saying "he'll probably outlive us all, unless a truck runs over him" until my comeback "I probably already have" (I'm late 50's). But I take it in good nature, which is mostly the spirit in which it's intended.