Old 01-05-18, 05:46 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by supercharger
It's 0 degrees F where I live and weekly I have a customer that comes into the shop wearing shorts. I hope his car doesn't break down and he has to walk somewhere for help because if the temps don't get him the windchill will.
Sitting at McD's a few nights ago abusing the heck out of the free refill policy, there was a whole beaterload (a mid-90s Reliant K, IIRC) of none-too-bright women from a couple towns over who came running in wearing shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops. Among the 5 of them, there were two jackets, with temps in the low 40s. They were stocking up on junk food before the 60 miles of rural highway back home. The girl at the counter commented on the lack of winter clothing, and one of them said "the car's got a great heater." Apparently, they'd been at the mall in Fort Worth, 70 miles of mostly empty road the other direction, and were just passing through. Since they hadn't planned any outdoor activities, they just didn't see a need to bring coats, long pants, etc.

I used to keep a season-appropriate (erring on the side of too-cold rating) sleeping bag in the trunk of the car if I was going farther than the county line. Always carried rain gear, and took at least a warm jacket if it was expected to be under 50 any time in the next week. Even if you're on a heavily traveled road, it may take a while before someone with the skills, tools and/or vehicle you need stops, and there's just no point in freezing until then.