Old 01-17-18, 09:07 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by trainman999
Metacortex; Would pedals have silver cages or black?
I believe the original Campagnolo Superleggeri pedals would have had black anodized cages: VeloBase.com - Component: Campagnolo 1037/a, Record Strada Superleggeri (SL)

They would have also included Christophe toe clips with Lapize straps.

How long from date serial # applied to frame till is is built and shipped?
Unlike the fillet-brazed or electro-forged models where the serial number was stamped on the headtube or dropout before that component was brazed or welded to the frame, I believe Paramount frames were stamped during the actual frame build or possibly even after completion (but before chrome and paint). Since Paramounts were built to order and not for inventory, with the exception of certain documented parts shortages in late '72 I believe it was only days to weeks from the time a Paramount of that vintage was SN stamped before the bike would have been completed.

Have 83 Superior in Gunmetal Grey build date on headbadge 2422 August 30 82 when did they go off the calendar year and on to the automaker year?
With rare exceptions the first time Schwinn set out to built a given model year bikes before that year began was when it used the last 10 days of 1975 production to build a limited number of '76 models. This was a new program announced in several Schwinn dealer "News Flash" bulletins around that time.

No Silver Mist paint option on the order form?
The 1973 Paramount order forms posted above were dated September 1, 1972, well before the 1973 catalog had been finalized. The November '72 Schwinn Reporter indicated that the '73 Paramounts (including the new Ladies' models) would be available in "all Schwinn colors, including black, white and Silver Mist." This is also reflected in the '73 consumer catalog that followed:

A dealer News Flash bulletin dated 11/72 indicated that Silver Mist was being offered on '73 Paramounts as a substitute for full chrome plating as that option was being discontinued.

So the long point lugs are Prugnat?
Yes indeed.

Is the fork crown Nervex? Peugnat? Something else?
The fork crown is probably Nervex, but I am not 100% sure: Nervex Professional lugs

Have a Nov 68 frame with Prugnat lugs if they only used them in 69-70 is it considered a 69?
It is a 1968 model built during the 2nd half of the year. Upon further research I believe Schwinn changed the Paramount from Nervex to Prugnat lugs after the annual summer holiday shutdown in July 1968. The earliest model I've seen with Prugnat lugs so far was built in August 1968: Story of my 1968 Schwinn Paramount P13