Old 03-16-18, 11:50 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
If you pass on the left in a situation like that, on a road like that, you are taking a big risk. People turning from the wrong lane is an incredibly dangerous phenomenon for exactly this reason. Undertaking is dangerous because the driver is going into your path. Overtaking is dangerous because you have limited time to make sure nobody is coming from behind into the space you want to take to go around. Stopping is also bad because you are at risk of being rear-ended due to the unexpected position of the turning car.

It's all bad, an it's all the drivers fault.

I'll say, though, that if I was riding an e-bike and keeping up with, or, as the video shows, generally going faster than the automobile traffic, I wouldn't be in the bike lane. I'd just ride in regular traffic.
I didn't think it was necessary to note that you would only overtake on the left after first looking back and ensuring it's safe to move out there to do so. I do it all the time - it's not a problem. Usually I can do it without slowing down. As soon as I see a motorist ahead slowing prior to a place where they can turn right, I look back and start planning my overtake. Within seconds I'm passing. Occasionally I need to signal/negotiate for right of way, but I can do that often without slowing as well. If you're deliberate and obvious about what you're doing, motorists behind get it and cooperate immediately. That's my experience.