Thread: Rowan
View Single Post
Old 04-16-18, 09:20 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe View Post
Machka,

Best wishes from New York. Stay strong.

There is a very small simple device which can be attached to the tracheostomy tube, called a Passy-Muir valve. This is essentially a one way valve which re-directs exhaled air out of the mouth and thus through the vocal cords, rather than out through the tracheostomy. It gives the patient a much improved ability to speak, before the step of actually closing the tracheostomy (decannulation). It can also improve secretion management and oxygenation, by restoring a more normal pattern of airway pressures. Of course Rowan's physician would have to concur that he is ready.
Originally Posted by since6 View Post
Such strength in you, so what to say?

Take care of yourself, this is an endurance ride, and yes I would encourage you to ride again. Passing through an extended period of grief in my life l road my bike. A bike, and yes alone now, is a great place to cry, to howl, to pray, to give yourself over to nature, to your body and snag a small moment of balance or self back before you return to the endurance ride/life you and Rowan are passing through now.

It doesn't have to be long, in fact probably it shouldn't be, but do make a date for yourself each week or more as you can, and take time, take a ride, take a healing journey.
Just a couple of reasons, the 50+ers rock:

1. Knowledge
2. Good advice. With all that is going on, you need to remember to take care of yourself, too.