View Single Post
Old 05-01-18, 07:00 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2748 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Looking at the Trek website, they look like they are just quick release hubs, not though axles. The fork has lawyer lips which is a dead giveaway.
thanks Mr C, didnt look.

re tire widths, using 35mm or even more can have the benefit of being a little easier on the wheelset because a wider tire at lower pressures has more "give" and "suspension" , which means less harsh forces going intothe wheels.
As a counterpoint from my experience, I have toured in Latin America using 2in tires, which on my rims measure out to 45mm, slicks, and for the road conditions I was on sometimes, wider was great and made life easier for my rims (26in wheels) and spokes.
In town, I ride on a couple of bikes, one with 38mm (1.5in) tires and another with 35mm. Both are easier over rough pavement, of which here in Montreal we have a lot of, and both roll along nicely and are not too wide. Given you are heavier than I, at least a 35 will be easier on your wheels, which is a good thing, and like I said, they roll along fine.

I hope others close to your weight can chime in, although do be aware that how you ride makes a diff also, ie not bashing over potholes too fast, or always staying in the seat when going over rough stuff, this all puts more forces into wheels in general.