View Single Post
Old 05-03-18, 02:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4495 Post(s)
Liked 4,178 Times in 2,797 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
A good hub is still a good hub. We are far too eager to just throw out the old to buy new. I know that I suggest just buying cheap wheels if you are just going to use the same components as a cheap wheel to build one but these hubs are worth keeping. No they aren't the same as the boutique hubs you've mentioned but they don't have the same price tag either.

Durable in what terms? A heavier rim is just that...heavier. It doesn't mean that it stands up to much more than a lighter rim. It's only slightly less prone to cracking and the thickness differences are minimal at best. Based on the volume of aluminum used, a "heavier, thicker" rim is usually only about the thickness of aluminum foil thicker (I've done the math elsewhere). Since the material is aluminum and the shape of the rim isn't round, that doesn't add much to to the durability.

As for tubeless rims weighing less and being stronger, I doubt that claim. There isn't anything inherently different between a tubeless ready rim and a "regular" rim. In fact, most rim can be made tubeless.

Why don't you think they are good for touring? If you are carrying the tool, you can remove the spoke if needed. And you aren't likely to lose the spoke in the event of breaking a spoke. Even if you did lose the spoke, you can always replace it with a square one.

Square aluminum nipples are a dumb idea in my opinion. They are too light for the duty and they are too soft. But brass isn't all that wonderful either. It's only slightly harder than aluminum and has a tendency to round off at higher spoke tensions. In other words, I consider square nipples "broke" no matter what material is used. Splines solve all the problems with square spoke nipples. For me, it's not about the weight...you save milligrams by using aluminum...it's about the function. They simply do the same job better.
I wouldn't throw away the hub, it would go in my spare parts collection so I could build some more cool parts bikes or for repairs.

If the rim is designed to carry bigger loads and has double or triple walls or can take abuse a little better it generally would be better for touring. Yes you can tour on probably any rim and make it work and rim technology is getting better but some rims have long proven themselves for touring and taking abuse. Weight is not really the factor but if something does weigh a bit more that is not always a bad thing.

Splines are a fine idea but if they aren't going to be adopted then they aren't going to be as handy! I haven't really seen any rounded nipples so far, if a wheel is built properly and quality tools and components are used you shouldn't have that problem and really shouldn't need to true them often if at all. If you are sloppy with things that is more likely to happen but that is easily prevented by taking your time which is what you want to do with wheel work anyway. Aluminum does save quite a bit of weight but in the end I don't think they are better and many of my wheel building mechanics would agree.