View Single Post
Old 05-14-18, 07:54 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I saw an earlier thread where you demo'ed this, pretty snazzy! So you mention spacers, what is the maximum height you could have with spacers, or will there be different lengths.
As noted above, the usable quill length as shipped is 90mm. With a typical 40mm clamp region on a threadless stem, you could run 50mm of spacers under the stem. Because this isn't a true threadless system, you don't even need the spacers but they do tidy up the appearance a bit. My intent is that users will cut the quill to their desired length depending on their chosen stem and spacer stack, just like a normal threadless system would require of the user. For reference, here is the uncut quill and how I used the bike for a little while (close inspection will reveal the old style top cap in use):

My sister's bike received an early prototype, too, and I only partially cut the quill for that install using a few spacers under the stem:

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Either way please send the CNC programs so I can make this out of titanium - or even better the cam files
What's wrong with aluminum?!