View Single Post
Old 05-18-18, 09:15 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by coolkat
Absolutely gorgeous! Well done. I'm very disappointed my regular conversion stem has been working well lately. I need more reasons to buy this! Though, really, the way it looks is enough
Aesthetics were a huge factor in creating this design but I didn't leave out some functional improvements while I was at it. While I'd hope most people would justify the purchase solely on the basis of the improved looks, if you need an additional justification you can add some increased front end stiffness to the list. A typical threaded headset and quill front end solely relies on the rigidity of the quill to fork connection. Adding a standard threadless adapter doesn't change that.

This threadless conversion headset yields some added stiffness as a result of using the upper race to support the quill. The upper race is supported at a far larger radial distance (by the headset bearings) than a quill on the ID of the steerer tube (15mm vs. 11.1mm). Having used a bike with a back to back comparison of threadless adapter to threadless conversion headset it really is a noticeable difference. You can actually take advantage of the extra stiffness of a threadless stem and modern handlebars now.

There is also a smidgen of weight savings vs. an aluminum threaded headset and threadless adapter combo, a number which increases when you cut down the quill. I've toyed with idea of titanium hardware and ceramic bearings for even greater weight savings but haven't yet gone there.