Old 05-20-18, 02:10 AM
MJBikes99

Bikes: Trek Domane, Dahon EEZZ, Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
Anyone can edit it yes but I'd struggle to see their motivation to put in Macao as a assembly location if it wasn't true. Generally I find wiki pages good information often written by people who are close to the information provided. In fact the wiki page looks like it was written by Dahon themselves because contains much marketing nonsense. The first line is;

Dahon is the world's largest manufacturer of folding bicycles
[2] with a two-thirds marketshare in 2006

Dahon doesn't actually manufacture many of its bikes but outsources them and companies like fuji-ta in China make many more folding bikes than Dahon. Then you have the line 2/3rds marketshare of folding bikes in 2006 but where is this, I suspect the US because it certainly isn't the world even if that is its peak sales year. It's all manipulative marketing information meant to impress people and feel safe about their purchase but in reality complete nonsense to put it politely. You could come away from that wiki page feeling manipulated. Brompton sold 8.7m worth of bikes in the UK in 2016 in a folding bike market worth 15-20m so seems hugely successful compared to other brands maybe securing over 50% of market share but then you look at where was surveyed for this statistic and it wasn't the whole market where you can buy bicycles it was basically bicycle dealers including large chains but then you have large sports stores, amazon, ebay, direct selling etc and that figure becomes a farce. I've never seen Brompton use that figure and hopefully they never will but other companies seem happy to try to manipulate customers.

I'd be interested to know what the estimated global market for folding bikes was for 2006 and how many folding bikes Dahon actually manufactured themselves that year and see how their statistics stacks up. Seems like 125 million approx bikes were sold in 2006 and if the world market is similar to the UK market folding bikes make up about 4% so about 5 million bikes of which 2/3rds is about 3.6 million units. Dahon actually sold 290,000 bikes that year but how many did they manufacture themselves and how many were outsourced? On the Dahon wiki page they claim to have a factory in Bulgaria but that factory is maxcom a separate company to Dahon who assemble Dahon bikes so not their factory. Is the same true of other factories elsewhere?

I guess my point is I've developed a complete distrust of Dahon and their marketing information. I really don't believe any of it and when you feel a company has no honesty it has no integrity and then you wonder about the bike quality itself.
I really don't believe any of it and when you feel a company has no honesty it has no integrity and then you wonder about the bike quality itself. I can't agree with you more.

Also I heard that the reason why Tern broke up with Dahon China, was partially because that Joshua think Dahon China was on the wrong way, but the more important reason is that his father had affairs with female employees in mainland China. It was totally unacceptable for Joshua and his mother.