View Single Post
Old 05-23-18, 06:45 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 571 Posts
I bought the bike tonight. No pictures of my own, yet, but I think it's a good buy. The tires are pretty rotted. They do hold air and they do have tread, and they're rideable as far as taking the thing around the block. The drivetrain actually works pretty well. The rear derailleur is a Simplex with a red label (I think a Prestige). The front derailleur is a Sun Bow, which I believe is possibly an aftermarket replacement -- various Peugeot catalogs seem to show that they usually matched derailleurs. The shifters are Huret with a black plastic tab on the end. Brakes are MAFAC center pulls with MAFAC plastic-coated levers (odd).

The chain stays have a nice cutout for tire clearance, but it looks like it's best suited for either a 559mm wheel or a 584mm wheel (more likely a 584). The current 630mm wheels place the brake track at about the front of the cutout, meaning it's entirely mis-placed to allow for the tire bulge. A 622mm wheel would have similar issues. I think that if any bike is a good candidate for a 650b conversion with something like 42mm or 47mm tires, this might be that bike. I'd have to measure brake reach before I spent any money. The hubs are high flange hubs, and appear to be original, but I couldn't know for sure. I'm sure they're inexpensive, whatever they are. The wheels appear to be Rigida with the textured brake tracks. The rear has a simpled pattern and the front has a pattern that resembles a brick pattern. I would not keep these wheels long-term on the bike, so this is of no real consequence to me.

The crank set is a 36-52, which is nice for what I want to do with it (lower speed town bike). I'm unsure of the brand, but the large ring appears to have a small image of a bicycle stamped or forged into it. The teeth seem good. Pedals spin freely and without noise. I lubed the chain and ran the drivetrain on the stand and all seems pretty well with it. It needs inner and outer cables for sure, which is no problem; I have all that. It'll need brake cables, too, but the brakes will have to go when the wheels go, so I won't spend any money on brake pads yet. I don't know what kind of long(er) reach brakes I would put on it if I went to 584mm wheels, but I doubt they'd use smooth post brake pads like these MAFACs take.

The paint will cleanup nicely. There are nicks and dingers on it, consistent with what is likely a 50 year old bike, but I think the paint will actually buff out pretty nice. I'm pleased to own it.