Old 05-30-18, 04:53 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
This event has really struck different chords with different folks. Some people say it's just part of racing, a little bit underhanded, but part of racing. Or even smart racing. On the other hand, some are actually quite pissed and consider it blatant unsportsmanlike cheating.

I'm a beginning racer, I was one of the guys who chased. Should I emulate this more experienced guy and fake a crash next time? Or do what I did, continue chasing, even though effectively my race for the podium (not that I ever had a chance) was over?

What are the stakes in amateur bike racing? Money? Pride? Camaraderie?
As I mentioned before, this isn't too uncommon in big races. I for sure would never do it in a local race, and would never advocate doing it in one, and wouldn't necessarily advocate it in any race...

But I've been in a PRT race where a huge crash happened with six or seven laps to go (right before free laps ended) and I braked hard, then went around it and tried to chase after it split and I didn't make it on and got pulled, when several (a dozen plus) others that didn't go down just took a free lap and got back in. So if that happened again in a PRT instead of slamming on brakes and swerving I'd probably just ride ride into the middle of it and put a foot down and take a free lap. I didn't get dropped and pulled because I was out of shape or not fit enough or couldn't race well enough. I got pulled because I was behind a huge crash and tried to close an 8-10 second + gap at 32 mph and couldn't, which is the case for many.

So a bit duplicitous and I guess I shouldn't really say I'd do that and then condemn someone that does it in a small, local race, but I do anyway. And I've posted a video of very prominent guys in the southeast doing it, too, so I'm not sure many would outright disagree in those specific situations.