Old 06-05-18, 11:07 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
Au contraire, mon frère! I can never understand why folks are so in love with all these mini-pumps (and I include the Morph and Lezyne's in that category). I still use an old fashioned Silca frame-fit with Campagnolo metal head. It weighs 5.5 oz, in comparison to the heavier Topeak Morph G ( 7.57 oz), Lezyne HP (6.61 oz ), or Lezyne HV (7.44 oz). Not only that, but it will pump up a tire to very high pressure much faster than any of those pumps. I have on many occasions stepped in to pump up the tire of a hapless cyclist fumbling unsuccessfully with their mini-pump or CO2 cartridges. If used correctly (i.e. valve stem at 12 o'clock, thumb wrapped over tire and index finger wrapped around the back of the head there's no way you will risk damaging the valve. A simple downward tap releases it. For an even more durable (but heavier) pump with an one-way valve look at the Zefal HPX. Both of these pumps are also very effective at fending off belligerent canines. Try that with your mini-pump!
I never could get over about 80 psi with my old Silca pump with the Campy head on it. For touring (this is the touring board) generally 80 psi is certainly adequate. But I was using that pump on tubular tires that should have had over 100 psi in the rear. I still have that pump in storage somewhere but have not used it in decades.

I carry a Zefal HPX on a couple bikes, but only because I already owned those pumps and I have more bikes than I have mini floor style pumps. I would not be buying a new Zefal HPX now when the other pumps are in my opinion so much better.

But if you have the arms of a wrestler, the old Silca pump probably works great.