Old 06-06-18, 01:46 PM
MrRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[quote=Eggman84;20380268]
Originally Posted by MrRider
I've been watching some mtb cassette installations, mainly onto road bikes, and I don't think the 11 cog overhangs the freehub with any mtb cassettes. From what I understand, the 11 speed cassette is the same width as the 10 speed cassettes and they accomplish that by making the 11 speed cogs thinner. Maybe I've interpreted something wrong but that's what I think's happening./QUOTE]

I think we are all confused at this point. Rear hub compatibility is discussed at Bicycle rear hub compatibilitybut it still left me confused as to your original question. When Shimano went to 11 speed, did they make the overall stack thickness of the road and MTB casettes different? Or is it just a function of the hubs since road is typically 130mm OLD and MTB is/was 135mm OLD? Can't wait until the manufacturers start using the just announced Shimano 12 speed stuff, with the new freehub. Ouch!!
It's pretty much all Chinese to me. I did a search looking for information on hubs earlier today and there's precious little generalist tutorials.

A mountain biker told me yesterday the current standard for most mtb hubs is 142 x 12, and that that standard is crossing over to road.

There was this hub tutorial:
, but it's not that comprehensive. I learnt though that the length of the hub ie 135mm is end of axle to end of axle, and that the different lengths are not usually due to different freehub lengths, but due to different widths between the flanges (where the spokes lace into). That results in some wheels being spoked on more of an angle between flange and rim for different wheel strengths. The greater the angle of the spokes, the stronger. That's really all I know at the moment lol. So if you get a 150mm hub and a 135mm hub, I think they'll both have the same freehub dimensions, but different width between the flanges, oh and also can be some differences with the axle-end lengths too.

Actually I think that the stack of an 11 speed cassette might be slightly more than the 10 even though the cogs are a little thinner, but they go on the same hub as with a 10 speed cassette you use a spacer before the large cog to fill the space. And perhaps an even bigger spacer if using 9 speed.