View Single Post
Old 07-12-18, 08:22 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Bike seat w/cutout.

I am trying to decide if I should be riding a bike seat with a center hole or space? I have a family history of prostrate cancer and at 69 having issues in that area are certainly not uncommon. I have a softer seat that has the grove down the middle and it is fine for a short time but not for a longer ride. It is nylon covered I believe and new so it is not a case of it being worn out. This has been my go to seat for the last two months but now that I am riding in the 90*+ weather it has become less and less ideal. The stock seat, it says Cannondale but I do not know if they actually make the seat, is more comfortable in the longer rides but has no real center grove. Do I need the center space on my seat as I ride a flat bar bike. I have raised the bar about an inch higher than was possible with the original stem by changing it to a 60* stem. I need the more upright position for may back. Again, my concern is for the seat space as I have read conflicting articles as to it's necessity. I am sure this has been discussed but I could not find the answer.
Thanks in advance, Frank.