styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,083 Times in 304 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
"I am going to take a fine file and round the edges at the crack prone sharp edge at the spider. Stress relieving work both for me and for the crank."

This is/can be key, nothing better than finding a fatal flaw and being able to rectify it summarily out of hand, part or whatever in stock, tools, knowledge and capability to solve the dilemma without further ado = priceless.
I agree - blueprinting, modifying or just tweaking things, a engine or any mehanical part, is very satisfying and it can make a big difference.

This area of the classic Record drive side crank is known to fail. The sharp edges acts as a stress riser (this is difficult in English - not my native language), and the area is also challenging in the forging process, and as pedal power is applied cracks can develop. I have cranks that has been put thru elite and powerful cycling and nothing has happened and I have cranks that I have bought new and used myself that has failed. It is a area that has to be checked regularly.

Here I have started to smooth the sharp edge (green arrow).

Apart from stress relieving the drive side crank I also measured the spider, the five arms, for any wobble. I had to correct two of them a little to get the rings to go perfectly straight. This is a practise I have done for many years and I would not recommend doing it if not absolutely sure about what to do and how to do it. Got to have a "feeling" for the material and what force to apply. Not for the faint of heart.

Today I also checked my pedal supply. I found a pair of almost unused Record pedals of the right version for this build. Side strap loop and metal dust cap. Bearings perfect. But they have French threading.

Not a big problem as I also found this pair of SL pedals with shot cages - but with perfect bearings. As the only difference is the axle the conversion will be easy.

This is fun! Looking forward to tomorrow already.

Last edited by styggno1; 07-22-18 at 04:18 PM.