Thread: Shifter cables
View Single Post
Old 08-12-18, 08:33 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I prefer die-drawn un-coated stainless cables in PTFE-lined housings. There is little if any difference in frictional coefficient between PTFE on steel and PTFE on PTFE, and I have found that the coated cables are difficult to clamp effectively and are prone to the coating peeling.
As I stated above, the main reason for using Teflon coated cables is to avoid corrosion of the cable when exposed to salt. Stainless isn't resistant to salt corrosion. I've pulled many cables out of housing that is lined but the cabling was coated in salt induced corrosion products.

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
My understanding is that "stretching" is more of the cables bedding in to the housings than of the metal actually elongating. This even occurs when just replacing the inners; they have to wear their own groove into the housing.
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I've used slick galvanized cables for decades with no issues. I like them because I prefer to solder the cut ends. I don't ride in snowy weather, though, so I can't really say if winter e=weather would change my mind.

FWIW, I doubt that cable stretch actually exists. May belief is that the cable housing ends bottom in the cable stops which makes the housings a little bit shorter.
I disagree. First, cables need adjustment after initial installation. That is a given. New inner cables always require some adjustment of cable tension. Others have suggested that the cable tension adjustment is due to the outer cable settling into the ferrules but cable tension adjustments are always needed even if you are using old housing. The simplest explanation for new cables needing tension readjustment is elongation of the wire cable as the cable strands twist slightly tighter when put under tension.

Cables of all varieties do stretch, from bridge cables to crane cables to bicycle cables. There is even a formula for calculation how much a cable will stretch under loads based on the load and the diameter of the cable.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 08-12-18 at 08:36 AM.