View Single Post
Old 08-21-18, 09:23 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I have a question for everyone here. I may or may not take the resulting advice, but I'd still appreciate the input.As mentioned, it's getting about around to New Bike Time, and I'm torn between the BD Ti with R8000 and the Cervelo R2/R3. Here's the logic that leads me to these two paths:

1) Modern steel frames are either affordable but questionable (Soma Smoothie), affordable and good but ugly (Ritchey Logic, Fairdale Goodship), lacking in tire clearance (Gunnar, BD), or too expensive (Stinner ).
2) Classic steel frames have the issue of being older than I want to deal with (quill stems, etc), missing geometry and clearance numbers, and quite possibly full of build "surprises".
3) I've always lusted after Ti, and the BD is a scorching deal, even though the GS RD would have to be scrapped.
4) The Ti natively takes my Quarq.
5) I don't give a G-D about the fastest bike for training (but I don't want something outright slow).
6) The BD comes as a finished product instead of me needing to track down a million parts for a new or old frame and get it put together.
7) However, the Cervelos are certainly going to be lighter, possibly more aero, and certainly will get a lot fewer AARP jokes. Which I'd love to say I'm above caring about, but vanity is a *****.
8) I can certainly adapt the Quarq or afford a new one and sell the existing one.
9) At least in my circles, Cervelo falls very much into the "no one ever got fired for buying IBM" category. Bland, yes, but they deliver a certain degree of reliable quality and everyone is familiar with them.

The problem is, I have no idea which bike I would prefer, and can't really get a feeling for either of them prior to buying (as in, riding for an extended period). It would be awesome to take them each out for a few laps at COTA, but of course that's not happening. Would the supposed flexiness of Ti bother me, even with my tri-geek low max wattage? If I buy another Cervelo, will I always wish I had gotten Ti? Will I be dissatisfied either way and should just stick with the S1 until it falls apart?

In all honestly, I'd appreciate hearing anyone's input and reasoning that got them there.
I'd love a ti bike too and BD is a great deal. If I had money to burn, I'd get a Mosaic. Or maybe a Moots.

That being said, there's no way BD ti can compare to the R3. R3 wins this hands down. I've ridden magnesium bikes for years, which are stiffer than most ti frames. I also own a R3SL. Two great bikes for you to narrow it down to, but the R3 wins easily. It's a sweet bike. You can buy a nice ti bike when you're old and you want something soft and comfy.