View Single Post
Old 08-22-18, 07:53 PM
2pedals5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clengman
It's a good idea to put a little grease on the threads when you reassemble any threaded parts. In the video he was threading the bottom bracket into the bottom bracket shell. It keeps them from corroding and seizing up. Also good to put some grease on your seatpost to keep it from seizing. I always have a tube of Park Tool Polylube 1000. I use it for thread lubricant, spoke nipples, and hubs. There may be better options out there, but they have it at my lbs and it seems to work fine for me. A tube lasts me a long time. The only other lube I use (other than chain lube) is Phil Wood's tenacious oil. I drip some of that into my freewheel body after cleaning it.
I got questions to ask you. Now I'm grateful you took the time to explain it nicely. But you mentioned some words that I'm not aware of...in the part where you're telling me to lube the seatpost to keep from seizing up...could you elaborate that please? And you said to put grease on threaded part..why do I need to put grease on them if they are threaded with another part that (theoretical would never remove or slip. even if with grease it may?) I'm trying to understand WHY we need grease and lube on threaded parts. I can understand if its prevent from rust?