View Single Post
Old 10-08-18, 08:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by vailskier3 View Post
do i have to worry about fitment with a newer BB? i'm assuming as long as it's 68mm, i should be good to get just about anything as long as it's square taper around 107-110mm?
For External BBs generally you don't have to worry except for mountain bikes with boost spacing and if you are trying to use a shimango style 24mm BB with say a ScRAM style 24/22 crank.

With square taper and other similar tapered BBs (Octalink or ISIS) you do generally want to get the correct spindle length and of course taper as well (assuming square with ISIS or Octalink you want to make sure you have the right splinage). A Sugino Messenger crank on a 120mm rear end uses a 103mm JIS taper BB for instance. If you are doing a conversion you can generally use the BB on the bike and just move chainring either to inner or outer as needed to get a better chainline but you don't have to be perfect so long as it is not too far out and doesn't rub jah frame you will probably be ok.