Thread: Palm pressure
View Single Post
Old 10-08-18, 08:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikefule
Personally, I'm a little sceptical about "bike fitters" as it sounds like Feng Shui to me. We all have different styles and preferences, and different body proportions. There are a few simple rules/guides and after that it's a combination of experimental adjustments and riding more until the problem goes away.

I used to have a big thing about pain in my hands and chose a bike with a frame that gave a high bar position, and I even flipped then stem. I found it was slow and that I got discomfort in other areas. I now have that bike set up with the bars as low as they'll go and prefer it. Yes, I get discomfort in the hands but I deal with that by changing my hand position between "on the tops", on the bends, on the hoods and, rarely, on the hooks.

If you're pedalling hard then the natural "equal and opposite reaction" to the pedalling action will tend to lift your upper body reducing the weight on your hands very slightly. Also, concentrate on having a bend in your elbows. It feels easier to let your elbows "lock out" so you can just flop your bodyweight onto them, but that slight bend reduces the transmission of shock to your hands and makes them less uncomfortable.

Most of all, the more you ride, the less you'll think about it.
One of my friends is a bike fitter and he fit me on my road bike and that made a world of difference and helped me realize things I didn't and made me more comfortable. I was already reasonably comfortable but didn't know I could have been way more comfortable as I am now.

Sure everyone is a bit different but a good fitter can realize that and make changes and suggestions based on that. You can do some trial and error stuff but a good fitter can real dial you in all over and really watch you pedaling and some can go really deep into it with computers and such.

It is way more than just some voodoo magic or just being Feng Shui as you mentioned. There is a lot of training that goes into it at least if you want to be good at your job and get certified. We are developing a fit studio at my company and our fitter has been doing it a while at other shops but has to go back and get re-certified so he is current and keeps at the top of his game. Kind of like a doctor.