Old 11-07-18, 05:07 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
Personally I don't agree with this, where I cycle there are quite a lot of thorns and I had 6 flats in 6 rides and got fed up with it so switched my tyres to Smart Sam Plus's and didn't have a single flat on them in months whilst the guys I cycle with continued to get them regularly ... one of the guys had 2 within 10 mins of each other so switched his as well.

I switched to a more road friendly tyre to do a charity ride, 1st time I took them over the same area got a flat and now the charity rides over have swapped them back again.

The panaracer gravelkings I believe have a reasonable level of puncture protection so maybe that's part of the reason you're not getting them, I only know that as I was looking at them and Schwalbe G-ones as a more road friendly alternative to going back to the Smart Sams but recognised I still needed some protection from my previous experience.
I have specifically mentioned thorns, like goatheads in another discussion, and I have strongly recommended the use of schwalbe marathon supremes for this enviornment. So in fact, you don’t disagree with me. The main point I was addressing, was talking about the difference between punctures and pinch flats, and the constant talk about flats but then saying they rarely or never get them. What I’m drilling down to, is the discrepancy here between the admitted number of flats vs the number of people who seem convinced, despite experience that they need these type of tires.

no, the gravelkings have essentially ZERO. I only just recently switched to the gravelkings. In the past I’ve commuted on 32mm Clément strada’s (no protection), and 28mm of the same tire. You know when something punctures your tire. I have no punctures in those tires. I’m not saying my experience is gospel, Again, I’m merely pointing out what people say and what they admit their experiences are.

Last edited by seamuis; 11-07-18 at 05:11 AM.