Old 11-09-18, 12:33 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Columbus Aelle was a tubeset employing a carbon-manganese (CMn) steel alloy in seamless, plain gauge tubes. The tensile strength, and consequently the wall thickness and weight, was between hi-tensile and chrominum-molybdenum (CrMo) steels. It's main advantage was that the brazing temperature range was wider than CrMo and therefore could employ less expensive, semi-automated brazing processes.

It was introduced for the 1978 model year and was typically found on mid-range racing bicycles and touring models. Often it was used for the stays and blades, in conjunction with higher grade main tubes, typically Columbus SL or SP. This reduced cost over a full SL frame while minimizing the weight increase. It was also manufactured in an Aelle R variant with butted main tubes.

Use of the Aelle tubeset started declining in the late 1980s, when Columbus developed economical, seamed, CrMo tubesets such as Matrix and Cromor, which took over the mid-range market.
I didn't expect that Columbus made 18 different types of tubing used for bikes as shown on the chart. It's interesting to note that the straight gauge Aelle is shown to be lighter per unit volume (2345g) than some of its butted successors like Cromor (2495g) - assuming I'm interpreting these numbers in the chart correctly.

Here's the bike I was looking at: