View Single Post
Old 12-11-18, 05:52 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 479 Posts
Excellent winter fodder thread. Here's how I look at it, I don't really care that he was doping as others were as well. What I care about is his rabid defense of himself. There was a lot of money on the line and he acted like a thug. Pretty simple. If he had kept quiet or downplayed or anything but crazy character assassinations and mafia intimidation tactics then I might be more receptive to not completely wiping his cycling record.

Lance's problem is he's a good athlete, but hyper competitive. He allowed all of the intensity of the racing moment to spill over into real life, like a hot head. I've met a few people that remind me of Lance but aren't athletes, people that are just really intense about the game of life and develop a scorched Earth philosophy. Something that would have been an evolutionary asset a few millennia ago, a mental shift from seeing your "fellow man" to "competitors for limited resources".

Ironically my class read Lance's autobiography our senior year of high school, and a few years after graduating my friend developed testicular cancer. Without reading that book I think he would've let it go on much longer without treatment.