Old 12-17-18, 03:44 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Ever since I switched to a 4-day/week job, I have been doing weight training, mostly arms and torso, three mornings/week at the local YMCA. I took up weights after a Colles fracture of the radius, because cycling does nothing for upper body bone or muscle mass and strength. I supplement the usual weighted arm, shoulder, and trunk exercises (shoulder press, lat pull, biceps curl, leg lifts, chest press, triceps extension, etc.) with patella-stabilizing weighted knee extensions (just the last 15 degrees to straight) and toe raises (for bilateral Achilles issues). For me, this is a year-round regime, irrespective of how much cycling I do in any given week. (Where I live, in weather-wimp north coastal San Diego County, there is no real "off season" for any outdoor sport.) With the amount of fast walking I do, I don't worry about getting enough weight-bearing exercise in the legs and hips. If all of my aerobic activity were cycling, this would be a potential issue.
Its not enough. Walking, not matter the distance, doesn't significantly tax your fast-twitch leg muscles. I do mostly leg extensions and machines curls with just a bit of the leg press. My body just doesn't do squats well at my current physical condition.